Every website needs a host. A web host plays an important role in the way the website performs. Hence, it is necessary that the host is chosen after ensuring that it can cater to your specific requirements. Over the years, different types of hosting plans have evolved catering to different requirements of site owners. Some of these are shared hosting, dedicated hosting, Cloud Hosting, VPS hosting, etc. Today, let’s talk about Cloud Hosting and aspects that make it more secure than the other hosting types.
What is Cloud Hosting?
In Cloud Hosting, the website is hosted on a network of servers that work together and distribute the load among themselves. The resources that are required to run a website like CPU and RAM are divided and distributed amongst multiple servers. This array of servers collectively form the Cloud. The biggest benefit it offers is minimum downtime. If one server fails, the other servers take its place and ensures that the performance is unaffected.
What makes Cloud Hosting more secure than the other hosting plans?
As a website owner, one of the biggest concerns is the security of the site and the data. Security, usually, lies in the top 3 list of priorities for any website. In Cloud Hosting, the following features make it more secure than the other hosting plans:
- Most Cloud Hosting providers create weekly backups of the web, email, and database contents. While site owners are required to create their own backups, this works as an additional safety net.
- There is a team of experts working with the provider which looks for any possible signs of intrusion and takes corrective action.
- Cloud Hosting providers deploy strong firewalls to prevent any Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks.
- Most Cloud Hosting plans also come with advanced security tools like SiteLock for quick and effective removal of virus and malware.
- Usually, in case of any hardware failure, there is a chance of data loss. However, most Cloud Hosting providers mirror (or copy) the data across various devices and drives and ensure a seamless transition. This technique of duplication is known as data mirroring and it is being used by major service providers.
While different hosting plans provide different measures of security, Cloud Hosting has managed to live up to the user’s expectations in a very efficient manner.
It is important to note that certain websites require higher measures of security (like the ones that involve a gateway or financial transaction) as compared to others (like blogs or an information portal). Hence, assess the requirements of your website well before you talk to a hosting provider. Focus on the security measure taken by the host to protect your data and try to understand the worst case scenario too. Ensure that you research well before choosing a Cloud Hosting plan since all plans are not the same. Since data and system files are the lifeline of any website, it is of utmost importance to protect them from any sort of external threat. Please let us know your chosen tools or additional measures that you take to secure your data in the comment section below.